MANIFESTO AGAINST ENVIRONMENTAL VULNERABILITY OF SIERRA ALFARO (El Comtat) FOR A PRIVATE COMPANY CAN INSTALL A WINDLESS WIND FARM
MANIFESTO AGAINST THE CONSTRUCTION OF A WINDLESS FARM FROM A PRIVATE COMPANY IN SIERRA ALFARO WHICH ARE GOING TO PROVOKE THE ENVIRONMENTAL VULENERABILITY OF THE LANDSCAPE.
To the knowledge of the judgment of the Court of Justice of the Valencian Community January 16, 2013, STSJ CV 108/2013, number of resource: 298/2009, which partially cancels the agreement of the Department of Environment, Water , Urbanism and Housing 05/06/2009, in particular the extension of the Special Protection Area (SPA) for Birds “Montañas de la Marina” in the province of Alicante, leaving out of it, among other places, the Sierra Alfaro where is planned to install a wind farm, the Coordinadora d’Estudis Eòlics del Comtat through this writing, which exposes to be signed by many organizations and individuals wishing to join,
1. We consider the region of El Comtat (where lies the Sierra Alfaro) has a privileged natural setting and a high ecological, archaeological and landscape value.
2. The Sierra Alfaro is included in the IBA (Important Bird Area) and, since June 2009, is a Special Protection Area (SPA) for Birds included within the Natura 2000 network. We consider the Sierra Alfaro must remain a SPA, for hosting inside large populations of protected birds (including Bonelli’s eagle, golden eagle and peregrine falcon), a fact proven by numerous scientific studies, including the IBA SEO / BirdLife.
3. We consider an SPA can not be arbitrarily discontinued, as it has been the case, and it could only be done if the area ceases to hold the avifauna values that motivated his statement, a fact which does not occur in this case.
4. The reasons to remove the Alfaro’s SPA are economical and industrial ones and that benefits a private company. Moreover, that is detrimental to the nature and spirit of the Natura 2000 network.
5. Nowadays, the network of SPAs is still insufficient due to the fact it includes only some IBAs, although it was expanded in 2009 by a decision of the European Commission (Judgment of the Court of Justice June 28, 2007).
6. The IBAs were established by the SEO / Bird Life as a request of the European Commission and its scientific credibility is beyond doubt.
7. We believe that, because of its potential impact on the birds, a wind farm is especially ill-advised on an IBA and much more on a SPA of birds.
8. We consider Valencian Administration has consciously propitiated this situation establishing, at the time, the primacy of the Valencian Wind Plan as a criterion to develop the SPAs network.
9. We deem Valencian Administration is responsible for the situation has been created due to authorizing a proposed wind farm within an IBA, (knowing that it would likely become a SPA).
10. We consider the Valencian Administration is unworthily responsible for this judgment of the Supreme Court to be final owing to the incomprehensible resignation of appeal it to the Supreme Court.
11. This sentence has been deliberately hidden to the citizens (with their associations) and the municipalities involved during 6 months by the Valencian government.
12. Several “Síndic de Greuges” (Ombudsman) recommendations highlight that there is no wind enough in the selected area, that facilities are not necessary, that it is necessary to look for other appropriated areas, and that it is required to investigate another more appropriate place for the wind farm if its location match with a SPA or an IBA.
13. We believe that, in any case, it should have been made an Environmental Impact Assessment of the proposed wind farm on this place, evaluation which, after more than 9 years from the public exposure of the previous study, has not been completed yet.
14. Uncataloging an SPA to implement an industry sets a dangerous precedent that could affect other protected areas in order to implement any infrastructure (wind farms, golf courses, housing developments, quarries, landfills, etc.) and is a reflection of the lack of existing an environmental concern in the Regional Administration.
15. We require the Government of the Generalitat Valenciana: – To take a greater commitment to the environment of the Community, – To annul the wind farms projected on IBA or SPA areas, – To maintain the existing protection as a SPA area for Sierra Alfaro, – To study the expansion of the Red SPA across the Community to include within it all Important Areas for Birds (IBA) – Hereinafter, to avoid any infrastructure project or construction of any protected area which involves having to unprotect the place environmentally talking.
El Comtat, June 8, 2013